Singapore Style Curry Powder
Singapore is a culinary melting pot of different cuisines and cooks who are all very keen on their particular type of food, each creating a particular blend of spices.
This basic recipe is suitable for poultry and meat dishes.
Time: 5 Mins
Makes: 10 Tablespoons
- 6 Tbsp Fragrantly Aromatic coriander seeds
- 1 Tbsp Fragrantly Aromatic cayeen chilli coarse cut
- 1 Tbsp Fragrantly Aromatic cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp Fragrantly Aromatic fennel seeds
- 2 tsp Fragrantly Aromatic black peppercorns
- 1 x 2.5cm stick of Fragrantly Aromatic cassia
- 4 green Fragrantly Aromatic cardamom pods
- 6 Fragrantly Aromatic cloves
- 2 tsp Fragrantly Aromatic turmeric
Dry fry the spices in a pan except for the turmeric.
Stir continuously until the spices give off a rich aroma.
Break the cassia bark into small pieces and then remove the seeds from the cardamom pods.
Grind the spice mixture to a powder and then stir in the turmeric.
For curries add 1 to 2 Tablespoons of the spice mixture to meat dishes once meat has been browned.
Ginger & Honey Pork with Szechuan Apple Sauce
The perfect sweet and sour combination for your next pork dish.
Time: 180 Mins
Serves: 4 – 6
- 1 pork belly, rind removed
- 250 ml light soy sauce
- 250 ml sugar
- 1 teaspoon Fragrantly Aromatic ginger
- 1 piece Fragrantly Aromatic cassia
- 2 Fragrantly Aromatic star anise
- 1 orange rind grated
- 250 ml water
- 20 ml sunflower oil
For The Sauce
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 60 ml sugar
- 125 ml water
- 60 ml butter
- 30 ml Fragrantly Aromatic Szechuan pepper
Preheat the oven to 100°C and grease an oven pan.
Place the meat in the prepared oven pan. Blend the soy sauce, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, star anise and orange rind and spoon over the meat. Add enough water to just cover the meat. Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 3 hours.
Leave the meat to cool in the sauce and refrigerate overnight. Drain the meat and cut into 5 mm thick strips. Heat the oil in a wok or deep frying pan until smoking and fry the strips of meat until golden brown.
Heat the apples, sugar and water, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer over low heat until the apples are tender. Add the butter and purée in a food processor until smooth. Add the pepper and pour over the pork strips.
Serve the meat with mashed potatoes and fried bok choy (Chinese cabbage) or stir-
Vanilla Butter Biscuits
Delicious vanilla butter biscuits for the kids.
Time: 60 Mins
Makes: 80 biscuits
- 500g Butter
- 375ml Vanilla Castor sugar
- 1 Vanilla Girl vanilla pod
- 1.175kg Flour
Cream butter and vanilla sugar.
Scrape seeds from vanilla pod and add to above.
Sift flour and mix into the biscuit mixture.
Roll dough into sausages and place in the fridge for 15mins.
Slice the sausages to make biscuits and bake for 15-20mins @180’C
Top with a sprinkling of vanilla castor sugar.
To make vanilla castor sugar:
Place 1 pod in your sugar jar and leave for 3 days to infuse flavour.